Call for nomination of landscapes
for installation of long-term ecological research infrastructure
A modular, highly-networked, environmental research infrastructure.
EFTEON aims to provide and operate a network of instrumented landscape-level platforms for the South African environmental research community, focused on socially-relevant terrestrial landscapes and their coupled hydrological systems.
- Landscapes of sustained national and international research interest, because they are representative of important and understudied ecosystems nationally or globally, and/or present unique and novel research opportunities, and/or make exceptional contributions to South African livelihoods, wellbeing or economy
- Potential to study, within one contiguous landscape of tens of square kilometres, the coupled hydrological and biogeochemical cycles at relevant scales, including the links between atmosphere, land and fluvial and/or groundwater systems, while also addressing questions of the functional effects on biodiversity and human use of the landscape
- Includes contrasting land uses derived from the same basic geomorphological/climate and vegetation template (e.g. protected land, modified lands and transformed lands), especially if these changes are currently ongoing or the historical record is very complete
- Core location to be suitable for long term ( > 20 year) environmental research
- Include or collaborate with existing research infrastructure, experiments or observational datasets
- Research platform to be available for use by other research groups or institutions
- “Availability of logistical support and operational facilities
In the face
- Protected, modified, and transformed Land-uses
- Climate change gradients or climatic transition
- Transition Zones
- Areas of special significance such as; strategic water source areas, areas of particular biodiversity importance, areas of importance for carbon sequestration, et cetera
The 3-Step Landscape Selection Process
Call for landscape nominations
The community is encouraged to propose landscapes for EFTEON research infrastructure development.
Closing date 15 March 2020
- Regional workshopping
landscape proposal assessment.
March – May 2020
- Request for detailed Proposals
from prioritized landscapes.
May – August 2020
- EFTEON Landscapes selected
and contracting initiated.
September – October 2020